Monday 26 September 2011

Akihabara and other misadventures

A bit later than I planned to post this, but then this weekend was quite busy. Well, I say busy...

Firstly, there was the terribleness that was Friday. Now, originally I though Friday was going to be in the 'Best. Day. Ever' folder of my life. Okay, maybe that's exaggerating. But at least in the 'Pretty awesome day' folder. Turns out I kind of fail at planning things. So in Japan at the moment, there's a whole load of stuff encouraging us to reduce electricity usage (or maybe its not all across Japan and is just in my uni, I'm not sure yet) I think it's to do with the fact that there are less power stations in Japan now, so power from elsewhere is being rerouted to the Tohoku area.

So, in aid of this 'reducing electricity usage' thing, ICU decided to have last Friday as a 'no power' day. From 8am to 5pm they turned off all electricity on campus, so no lights, no cooking, and no hot water. Now, all this was fine. They had warned us in advance, and a lot of people were planning to go sightseeing for the day, because they had also cancelled classes. I decided to sleep in for a bit, then use the battery power of my netbook for a few hours of chilled internet time. Turns out no power means no internet. Don't know quite how I hadn't figured that out early enough. But by the time I had, everyone else had gone to fun and exciting places and my very last minute plans fell very, very flat. Still, I had the chance to study for hours more than I thought I would! Then I got bored and went to a nearby bookshop and bought a book to try and read. Turned out that felt a lot like studying too, as I had to have my electronic dictionary next to me the whole time and look up almost every other word.

Saturday was a lot better though, as I finally managed to get to Akihabara. For those who don't know Tokyo, Akihabara is also referred to as 'Electric Town'. It is full of shops selling electrical goods and gadgets, and is an awesome place to find a good deal, if you know anything about that kind of thing, which I really don't. However, as Akihabara is a haven for the geeks of Japan, it doesn't just have electric things. It also has many, many shops filled with wonderful anime merchandise. And arcades, which will eat your money up faster than a trophy wife (I assume. I have never actually experienced that, but I have read about it in Regency era novels...)

However, arcades are also the home to the wonder that is Purikura. Also known as sticker pictures, these things are amazing, and we should totally have more of them in England. You take pictures with your friends, then decorate them. They are designed for girls who often want to look more American, so there are options that make your eyes look bigger, and your skin look paler. For the sake of irony, I usually go for the biggest and most dramatic eyes and the palest skin tone. I went with Alyssa, who is pretty cool, even if she doesn't live in the best dorm on campus (unlike me). Sadly, I didn't get to go and look for shady alleyways, because Alyssa was afraid that at that time of night, in Akihabara, I might actually find some. Apparently explaining that  it would be alright, because I know aikido/self defence was not comforting, especially when I explained the first thing I had been told to do if I got in a fight - try to run away. Turns out she doesn't know aikido/self defence and I didn't have the time to teach her the finer points of the great and noble art of running really fast from danger, so we came home.

Also, the sign in the picture on the right below this paragraph entertained me so very much. It's basically saying that this is a 'women only' zone. There were other signs which I think were saying that guys were not even allowed downstairs to this whole area without a woman. The pink rectangles are the Purikura booths that guys are completely forbidden from entering, whereas they are allowed in the blue ones, but I think they're still mean to have a girl with them. Not that many groups of guys would want to do Purikura, it just entertained me that they made it into a rule.
An example of Purikura, me and Alyssa
Just out of the shot is a little additional sign,
saying 'no cameras'. Oops?



















So with all that over and done, and me back safely, even though I had left my bike unlocked for hours, with the key still in the lock, and no one had taken it (I love Japan) Sunday came next, when I finally managed to get along to church. Which was cool because I got to meet up with a friend I haven't seen for almost three years. It was a little bit weird being so far from home, yet still in church. It was nice though, made me feel like I'm finally settling in or something. It was quite a journey to get there, especially as I missed the stop on the bus, and had to go round the loop circuit, which luckily only takes about 30 minutes, with the bus driver staring at me like I was crazy... But yeah, I managed two solo journeys this weekend, without getting too lost, and managing to make it to everything on time. I'm totally not counting the bit of the return journey on Sunday, when I got on the wrong train and went two stops in the wrong direction before I even realised.

Backtracking a bit now, because I covered the weekend which, to be fair is when most of the actually interesting stuff happened, but there was some interesting stuff in the week. So I mentioned how I feel like I'm finally settling in. Well, I think the two main things that are bringing it home to me that I'm living here, and not on holiday, are my bike and my phone. Those are not things that a vacationer buys! Or if they are, then they must be some kind of really rich vacationer, who really likes bikes, and doesn't want to hire one... Anyways! Yes, I got a Japanese phone last Tuesday. My flatmate Yukari took me to the phone shop and dealt with all the confusing translation stuff, and I walked out with a phone. It was a bit of a weird process, as I didn't pay a penny, and now have unlimited emails - Japanese phones email without having to be officially connected to the internet. It's basically like texts, except I can send them to normal email accounts as well. I have never in my life had a contract phone before, and I keep being slightly weirded out by having one, but it's amazingly useful for finding out what's going on and everything.

New phone!




Behold, my beautiful Tavros. Yes, I named my bike
Because it is an awesome bike and deserves an awesome
name.
If I remember rightly, I have already ranted about 'yay I have a bike, yay' in a previous post, but seriously, it's like every time I ride it, I'm reminded that I live here now. That this isn't like before, that I'm here for ten months. While that sometimes seems scary, I'm loving being in ICU. This place is like everything I always dreamed a university would be like. Sure, its a bit disorganised at times, and I wish the Japanese Language Program had made the workbooks to have ALL the chapters we're going to be studying in the order we'll be studying them in, so they don't keep having to give us more paper, which I inevitably lose, but I really love it here. I'm enjoying studying Japanese again. I'm enjoying all my lectures. The campus is beautiful and there are tennis courts, and a gym (which you can use for free) and a swimming pool (which has a small fee for each use). The people are all really kind and friendly, and my dorm is just awesome.

So even though days like last Friday are kind of annoying, I am really looking forwards to these next nine months (and can't believe that I've already been here for almost a month!)

No comments:

Post a Comment